Today was the first day of school for students in Brevard County! Summer is coming to an end and to help get you in school-mode, I found this list from The Stir of ways to create a productive homework-zone!
photo credit to getty images/flickr/msr
1. Eliminate distractions... no TVs, no radios, nothing that could distract. Its one thing to help stimulate but be careful not to have toys or TVs nearby
2. Stock Supplies... make sure everything they could need is within reach! If they have to dig around the house for a ruler, it could kill their momentum. Keep it organized in bins and containers... preferably with lids to eliminate another distraction
3. Make it Comfy... okay this is tricky. If its too comfortable, they'll have trouble concentrating. The sofa or bed are the worst places for homework! After a long day at shcool they'll nap! But it should be a nice spot, with a desk & chair their size
4. Lighting is Key... Make sure the light is bright enough! Otherwise you're asking them to take a nap
5. Make it Fun... homework does not have to be miserable! Learning is wonderful-- its studying that's a killer. Try to make the space colorful, and keep them engaged!
My own personal tip... feed them first! I remember the worst part of homework was my grumbling stomach! A quick snack before homework time will work wonders for their concentration!